All posts by Richard

Church of St John the Baptist

Rutland Ride & Stride

Take part in this unique event and help raise money for local churches: the Rutland Ride & Stride is a sponsored event for cyclists, joggers, walkers and horse riders. The event is held in Rutland once every two years in order to raise money for the preservation of the county’s beautiful and ancient church buildings.

Saturday 9th September 2017

Participants challenge themselves to visit as many churches as they can by their chosen mode of transport and at the same time raise money to support the work of the Rutland Historic Churches Preservation Trust. Whilst many of our participants choose to walk or cycle we welcome anyone who is willing to take on a personal challenge. Horse riders are welcome and we’d love to see a unicyle or three-legged team! Since 2013 we also welcome not so mobile participants who may be driven to churches but should reach the church door under their own steam.

Half of what participants raise in sponsorship will be re-allocated specifically to their nominated church (if any) and the other half to the funds of the Rutland Historic Churches Preservation Trust for general use on churches/chapels in the county of Rutland.

For further information and to enter the event visit their website:

Rutland Ride and Stride

 

The river at Blatherwycke

The Welland

The River Welland is a lowland river in the east of England, some 65 miles (105 km) long. It drains part of the Midlands eastwards to The Wash. The river rises in the Hothorpe Hills, at Sibbertoft in Northamptonshire, then flows generally northeast to Market HarboroughStamford and Spalding, to reach The Wash near Fosdyke. It is a major waterway across the part of the Fens called South Holland, and is one of the Fenland rivers which were laid out with washlands. There are two channels between widely spaced embankments with the intention that flood waters would have space in which to spread while the tide in the estuary prevented free egress. However, after the floods of 1947, new works such as the Coronation Channel were constructed to control flooding in Spalding and the washes are no longer used solely as pasture, but may be used for arable farming.

Significant improvements were made to the river in the 1660s, when a new cut with 10 locks was constructed between Stamford and Market Deeping, and two locks were built on the river section below Market Deeping. The canal section was known as the Stamford Canal, and was the longest canal with locks in Britain when it was built. The river provided the final outlet to the sea for land drainage schemes implemented in the seventeenth century, although they were not completely successful until a steam-powered pumping station was built at Pode Hole in 1827. Navigation on the upper river, including the Stamford Canal, had ceased by 1863, but Spalding remained an active port until the end of the Second World War.

The Environment Agency is the navigation authority for the river, which is navigable as far upstream as Crowland, and with very shallow draught to West Deeping Bridge, where further progress is hindered by the derelict lock around the weir. The traditional head of navigation was Wharf Road in Stamford. The management of the lower river has been intimately tied up with the drainage of Deeping Fen, and the river remains important to the Welland and Deepings Internal Drainage Board, for whom it provides the final conduit to the sea for pumped water.

Wildlife in the river varies along its length, the faster headwaters being a habitat for trout and the slower lower reaches for perch. The estuary conditions and flat landscapes beyond Fosdyke favour wading birds and migratory species.