Harringworth has a number of beautiful buildings, the key ones are described in this section:
- Original Manor House (no longer standing)
- Chapel – All Saints (no longer standing)
- Chapel – Our Lady/Hermitage (now part of a cottage)
- Market Cross
- The White Swan Inn
Original Manor House (no longer standing)
William de Cantelupe owned the manor house in the 13th century and this later passed to the la Zouche family who made Harringworth one of their principal residences. This was a large and important building, but sadly only a small fragment (manor cottages) and a fishpond remain.
The earliest known manor house on the site was described in 1272 as having a great hall, great chamber with a fireplace, garderobe, a great kitchen, stable, granary and chapel. All were built of cut stone and roofed with stone (Public Records Office. Cat: 133/2. Piece ref: FEC 1/413).
In 1387 William la Zouche gained a licence to crenellate the house.
An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire (RCHM) p.84 refers to a map of 1630 which shows the outer and inner courtyards with buildings spread along the north and west sides of the latter. It is believed that the living accommodation was in the western block. The surviving cottages were situated in the middle of the northern section, and therefore assumed to be a peripheral part of the house. The book gives a detailed description of the surviving cottages (Manor Cottages), including an outline plan which clarifies 15th, 17th 19th and 20th century construction.
The manor was bought by the Tryon family shortly after 1617, and it is thought that Moses Tryon rebuilt the surviving section. The house had 13 hearths in 1673, but declined in importance after the rebuilding of Bulwick Hall in 1676. It was largely dismantled by 1719.
This is a quote from Leland (about 1530) taken from ‘A Stroll by the Welland’, Northamptonshire Notes and Queries “The Lord Souche had a right goodly manor place by the paroche chyrch of this village, builded castelle like. The first courte whereof is clene down, saying that a great peace of the gate-house and front of the waulle by it yet standith. The ynner part of this place is meately welle maintained, and hath a ditch aboute it. The waulles of this ynner court be in sum places imbattelid. And withyn this courte is a faire chapelle, in the bodie whereof lyith one of the Souches byried, and a greate flat stone over him.”
An excellent photograph and a detailed description of the chimney can be found in An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire (RCHM).
Chapel – All Saints (no longer standing)
The chapel (described by Leland above) was situated within the grounds of the manor, between the western section of the house and the church. An 18th century historian records that it was in ruins by 1719 (Bridges Northamptonshire Collections. Vol: 11, p320).
Sir John Zouche, kt.1550 (P.C.C. 10, Bucke).
Chapel – Our Lady/Hermitage (now part of a cottage)
The cottage shown below has evolved from a 13th century chapel, and it is believed to have been referenced in 1577 as the cottage or chapel called ”The Hermitage’. Recent renovations to the cottage revealed the 13th century chancel arch which is in the centre of the building. The cottage is situated opposite the church and is built sideways to the road, overlooking the field which is the site of the Saxon burial ground.
The cottage was originally two dwellings; the east cottage occupies the chancel, the walls of which partly remain particularly at the south east corner which has a chamfered string at a low level. The west cottage is totally of c.1800 and smaller than the nave it replaced. Further information, a plan and cross section of the building can be seen on page 84 of An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire (RCHM).
Maintenance. “To the supportacon of our Lady’s chappell iijs.iiijd”;
W. Dunmow 1523 (B.149). “To the maintenance of our Lady’s chappell
Bridge. “To the bryge betwixt our Lady chapel & chyrch iiijd:
W. Brown, 1515 (A. 266).
We are grateful to Mr Conant and Mr and Mrs Evans, for their permission to show the following photographs, which were taken during recent renovations.