The Parish Council manages to secure generous donations to enable the restoration to the Market Cross in Harringworth
Repair to the Market Cross at Harringworth has recently been completed. Following the extensive construction work to provide mains drainage in the village, the Market Cross was found to be in need of some attention.
A number of the stone steps had become broken over time and water ingress was further eroding the base of the structure.
It is believed that the cross may be associated with the grant of 1387, to William La Zouche, for an annual fair and a market on Tuesdays in Harringworth.
The monument includes the remains of the market cross, located approximately 10m west of Cross Farmhouse, at the junction of Deene Road with Wakerley Road and Gretton Road in the village of Harringworth. The cross, which is Listed Grade I, is thought to be in or near its original position and is believed to belong to the medieval period, with the architectural style suggesting a 14th century date.
The cross base stands to a height of approximately 0.8m, is of mortared block construction and includes a flight of five steps decreasing in size from 3.42m square to 1.6m square. The top step is iron cramped. Supported on the cross base is a socket stone measuring approximately 0.4m square by 1.1m high.
The upper corners are chamfered to form an octagon. The shaft is comprised of eight clustered columns of alternating girths in a square arrangement approximately 0.3m across. The original cross head does not survive and was replaced by a moulded capital with square abacus (platform) and reticulated head when the cross was restored in 1837. The full height of the cross is approximately 4.5m
The Parish Council managed to secure generous donations from County Councillor Heather Smiths’ “Empowering Councillors Fund”,District Councillor Pauline Bradburys’ “Member Empowerment Fund” and the Harringworth residents via the “Harringworth Appeals Fund” to cover the full cost of the work.
It is hoped that the work will preserve this important landmark in the village for future generations to enjoy.
For more information and hi res photographs contact: Village Correspondent – Philippa Gasson
Tel: 01572 747 700